What is Social-Emotional Learning (SEL)?
Social and emotional learning is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. This intentional focus helps students build on internal assets and create a foundation that will support them in school and life. Focusing on the whole child at school provides opportunities to grow these necessary life skills to help our students become their best selves.
Read me! What is SEL?
Watch me! What is SEL?
Why SEL & Wellness?
We can – and must – support each student on a path to a hopeful future.
The Camas School District is committed to providing systemic social and emotional learning opportunities that contribute to overall student wellness, and its All-Student Wellness program was created in 2017. Focusing on a systemic approach allows us to be intentional in creating caring school communities, equitable learning environments and concentrates not only on academic growth but the growth of the whole child. School counselors, teachers and support staff are always finding ways to embed SEL concepts into their classrooms and creating space for these skills to be learned and practiced.
Students are more successful in school and life when they:
- Know and can manage themselves and regulate their emotions
- Understand the perspectives of others and relate effectively with them
- Make sound choices about personal and social decisions
Other SEL benefits include:
- More positive attitudes toward oneself, others, and tasks including enhanced self-efficacy, confidence, persistence, empathy, connection and commitment to school, and a sense of purpose
- More positive social behaviors and relationships with peers and adults
- Reduced conduct problems and risk-taking behavior
- Decreased emotional distress
- Improved test scores, grades, and attendance text
Camas’ SEL Goals
With guiding principles and core priorities in mind, the Camas School District has outlined goals for our students, staff, and partnerships:
- Increase internal assets for students to become their “preferred selves.”
- Foster meaningful connections with adults, mentors, and peers.
- Build self-awareness, regulation, and prosocial skills.
- Increase training to grow and stretch individuals’ knowledge base.
- Empower staff to connect with students and support social-emotional growth.
- Engage in conversations and listen to students, staff, parents/guardians, and community.
- Invite all to be teammates in participating in developing and maintaining external assets.
Resources & Reading
Below are things to watch, listen to and read to help you and your family survive … and thrive!
Except for those created by CSD Social-Emotional Liaison Jennifer McMillan, these resources are not endorsed by Camas School District.
Join us! All in-person activities or virtual events are open to the public unless otherwise specified (due to seating, parking or audience constraints).
Virtual & In-Person Parent Workshops & Videos: Transitions
Supporting transitions is a vital part of a child’s overall well-being. Join us for the following events as we look specifically at each developmental stage and the ways to support your children with these exciting changes.
Transitioning To High School – watch video at your convenience!
Watch the video! Passcode: $r&4DPR7
Transitioning To Life – watch video at your convenience!
Watch the video! Passcode: 8*+LK?c2
Video & Audio Archives
Missed a workshop or want to learn something new? Watch or listen to one of our taped events at your convenience.
Camas Educational Foundation (CEF) Major Grant
- Student Transitions
- Student Engagement
- Family Engagement Support
We are extremely grateful for the support of CEF, and for the many generous donors who fund extraordinary teaching and learning in Camas schools. Thank you!
In the News
See what the media is saying about student wellness in Camas Schools!
- Doing 3 Good Things: Camas honors Hilinski, raises mental health awareness – The Columbian, September 6, 2018
- Camas Schools Prioritize Wellness: Wellness Strategy Supports Students, Teachers, Parents – Camas-Washougal Post-Record, March 1, 2018
We appreciate your willingness to learn and grow with our students!