Special Election Set for February 2021
On Feb. 9, 2021, Camas residents will vote on two Camas School District levies: one for Educational Programs and Operations (EP&O), one for technology-Capital. These are NOT new levies. They will replace two levies expiring at the end of 2021. Read about it in our 2021 Levy Brochure. This informational piece will be mailed on January 22 to all residences within the Camas School District boundaries; this is the same day ballots are mailed from the Clark County Elections Office.
Frequently Asked Questions
BENEFITS TO STUDENTS
- Staff for smaller class sizes
- Textbooks & curriculum materials
- Security staff and resource officer
- All extracurricular activities
- Library staff and materials
- Health room staff and programs
- AP, Highly-Capable & accelerated programs
- Special education staff and materials
- Technology support staff
- Professional development
- Grounds, maintenance, and utilities
IMPORTANCE OF FUNDING
Like all Washington school districts, Camas School District relies on local, voter-approved levy dollars to make up the difference between state funding and basic education costs. Levy dollars make up approximately 20% of Camas School District’s budget.
Camas voters passed a bond in 2016 to construct and improve district facilities. These replacement levies would continue funding for the teaching, learning, health, and safety that go on within their walls.
WHY A THREE-YEAR LEVY?
- Ensures stable funding for the near future.
- Reduces election expenses.
- Helps avoid election fatigue.
COMMON $$$ QUESTIONS
- If assessed values increase, can the district collect more? NO
- If the district increases in assessed value over the next four years, will my cost per $1,000 increase? NO
- Can the levy amount be increased without a vote? NO
- A detailed brochure explaining the levies will be mailed to all patrons in the last week of January.
- Ballots will also be mailed in late January, with Election Day on Feb. 9.
- District staff will attend staff and community meetings at all schools to present information about these funding measures.
- For more information, please call the superintendent’s office at 360-833-5412 or connect with the principal of your nearby elementary, middle, or high school. Each school’s contact information can be found under the Schools & Resources section of this website.
PREVIOUS LEVY INFORMATION
2007 Technology Levy (Includes 2007 Bond)