A before and after school program of Camas School District
For families looking to enrich their child’s education with before- and after-school care, we offer the option of dropping off children before school and/or picking up their children after school.
The Extended Day Program provides a family-like atmosphere that emphasizes positive interaction, self-control, decision making, and self-responsibility. Developmentally appropriate activities encourage creativity and permit children the freedom to explore and learn through play.
Development of the Extended Day Program is based on understanding of the needs of children who are at various developmental levels and stages. Our program offers a safe, accessible environment provided by a warm, caring, and responsible early childhood education staff. Parents’ values and cultural diversities are respected and included in program activities, as appropriate.
Enrollment opens each year on May 1. Visit the program page for more information.
We provide developmentally appropriate curriculum for school-age children based on state and national guidelines for school-age education and childcare programs. The guidelines include the following:
- A developmentally appropriate curriculum for all areas of a child’s development, physical, emotional, social, and cognitive through an integrated approach.
- Appropriate curriculum planning based on teachers’ observations and recordings of each child’s special interests and developmental progress.
- Curriculum planning emphasizing learning as an interactive process. Teachers prepare the environment for children to learn through active exploration and interaction with adults, other children, and material.
- Learning activities and material are concrete, real, and relevant to the lives of young children.
- Programs provide for a wider range of developmental interest and abilities than the chronological age range of the group would suggest. Adults are prepared to meet the needs of children who exhibit unusual interests and skills outside the normal developmental range.
- Teachers provide a variety of activities and material, increasing the difficulty, complexity, and challenge of an activity as children develop understanding and skills.
In addition, our before- and after-school program focuses on social learning. The atmosphere is structured but relaxed. It allows for small group, large group, and individual social interaction through outdoor or gym play, table games and activities, crafts, free choice, and homework help. Children learn leadership, teamwork, responsibility, cooperation, and friendship skills by planning and directing group games and activities for and among themselves.